In this clip from – Todd Brabec is the Vice President and Director of Membership for the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP). He talks about when an individual needs a license. Whenever music is used for anything outside the home, such as a department store or dentist office, permission must be given. A license must be acquired and a payment made. Brabec explains that the decision of whether ASCAP or BMI collects the money and negotiates the fee depends on the writer of the composition being performed. Whichever organization the writer is affiliated with settles the license